Kelly’s Going Green
We recognise that our Hotel has an important role to play in protecting and enhancing the environment for future generations and to help secure the long-term sustainability of the tourism industry, with this in mind we have introduced a Sustainability Management Green Plan. The hotel contributes to achieving its objectives, in order to improve its sustainability, reduce long-term environmental impact and increase welfare of the employees, guest and of the environment that surround us.
One of the biggest projects undertaken in 2019 was development of our “Kelly’s Kitchen Garden”, the gardening would potentially supply the hotel all year round with vegetables, herbs and fruit.
Kelly’s Kitchen Gardens have been a welcome addition to the stunning grounds one which Bill says will enhance the customer experience. People are now more health conscious and dietary requirements have changed over the years. Guests are demanding fresher food that has been sourced locally, and hotels across the country are now creating gardens and small farms to grow their own herbs and vegetables.
As we feel strongly about locally sourced produce, we are now committing to growing our very own ingredients. We have over 3 acres and 4 large polytunnels been developed for the kitchen alone, this is not just ‘lip service’. It will allow us to create a food path, which is truly in tune with the season and a million miles away from global methods of industrial food production.” Deirdre Howlin is Kelly Resort Hotel’s Head Gardener. With an impressive horticultural background and holding a BSc honours in Horticulture, Deirdre is a bundle of energy, having run her own Grange Green Plant centre and co-owned and managed the Tower Escargot Snail Farm. Deirdre works full-time with Bill and Kelly’s Executive Chef, Eugene Callaghan, on the different varieties of seasonal vegetables ensuring the hotel gets maximum yields from the ground, while giving back to the land at the same time. “Our aim is to supply the Kelly’s Hotel with fresh, naturally grown produce”. This will reduce the need to transport some of the food used by the Kelly’s Hotel. We are also using the waste food, grass clipping, leaf mould and use coffee grinds to make compost thus giving back the soil that feeds us. We have already seen an increase in the number of bees in the Kitchen Gardens. As well as fruit and vegetables, we have incorporated many flowering perennials; these have been planted in drifts of colour making the flowers more visible to the bees. Many of the flowers selected have single flowers, which produce more pollen. In the future who knows we may even have our own bees on-site,” said Deirdre Howlin.
ELECTRIC CAR CHARGERS: We have 7 charging units at the hotel, 4 of which are Tesla
By working together as a team we can contribute to making cleaner and safer environmental issues remain a focal point and receive proper attention.
- Neter 8 Composter – designed for composting organic waste
- Solar power options are currently being installed as the best energy source over a variety of operational activities.
- When new appliances are purchased, their energy efficiency rating is a very important element in the selection process. We will only replace any equipment with low energy alternatives.
- Replaced all high watt bulbs with energy Saving Light Bulbs.
- Use of motion detectors. Temp tech to control hearting, lighting and air-condition when the room is not in use.
- Water consumption by
- We segregate all our refuse into 3 areas, recycling, compost and plastics. It is our goal to eliminate 90% of our plastic by 2024
- The ongoing development of our Water System.
- Waste packaging by the purchase of bulk food items and cleaning materials.
- Aluminium Can & Glass Bottle Recycling.
- We insist suppliers deliver with minimum plastic packaging.
- Coffee grounds are recycled, and put to good use as fertiliser in the gardens.
- We will eliminate chemicals in our garden. All fertilizers / sprays used will be environmentally save before they can be used.
- New Heating System being install 2022
We will monitor the performance and aim for continued improvement by reducing, reusing, and recycling in areas such as energy consumption, reduction of waste materials and water consumption. Work with suppliers who have compatible policies for managing their impact on the environment.